Wednesday, January 03, 2007

So, I'm trying to be back.

Don't expect too, too much, as I'm going to be on the road a lot, but I figure I ought to try and start writing some again. Today, a brief post-mortem on some of the things I liked in 2006.

My favorite movies of the year:

Cars
Pirates Of The Caribbean 2: Dead Man's Chest (can't wait for the third one)
Snakes On A Plane (come on, it's a movie called Snakes on A Plane. It's the greatest movie ever.)
Hostel
Over The Hedge
Jackass 2 (can you tell this list isn't especially highbrow?)
Wordplay
A Prairie Home Companion (RIP Robert Altman. A good movie to go out on...)
The Great Yokai War (I don't think this was released in '06, but I saw it in '06, so there...)
Thank You For Smoking

The worst movie I saw in '06, by far(and I actually wasted the 9 bucks to see it, more's the pity) was Ultraviolet. Even the director's cut DVD didn't help matters.

DVD highlights of the year for me:

The continuing amazing releases from WWE, particularly the History of The WWE Championship and Spectacular Legacy of the AWA DVDs. (Almost made up for the editing of certain segments of WM23 for the DVD.)

Special editions of Forbidden Planet and The Maltese Falcon, as well as George's grudging release of the original non-edited Trilogy on DVD, even if they weren't anamorphic.

The Adventures Of Brisco County on DVD. Bruce Campbell rules. 'Nuff said.

(More later. I gotta go pick up Laurene from work.)

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, I'm glad I downloaded Ultraviolet and didn't pay to see it. But Milla's abs were stunning, as ever.

1/03/2007 6:28 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

uh, muggs? If you went to the theater and saw a movie that you hated, why did you then watch the director's cut of the dvd?

I wasn't very impressed with Thank You For Smoking. I thought it was really slow-paced and frankly not all that interesting. The part with wooing the marlboro man with money was too chopped, as was the court scene. I also didn't like the way the main character was totally bowled over by the hollywood guy - I think it made him a lot less believable.

1/04/2007 11:18 PM  
Blogger Jon M. said...

Because I heard that the director's cut was going to be much longer, like a half hour, and was going to make the movie make sense. (It didn't.)

I liked the book of Thank You For Smoking a lot, which probably colored my opinion of the movie, but I can see your points.

1/05/2007 7:09 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home