Monday, March 13, 2006

Milla, fire your agent. Seriously.

So, Ultraviolet.

Oh, my God, what utter incomprehensible crap. Well-CGI'ed crap, but crap nonetheless. I could run down the plot, but I'd need to do a flowchart, and frankly, I don't have the space for that, so basically, it's like this. Milla's a vampire, but she's good. Cameron Bright is a creepy little kid(much like his character in Birth) who might have the key to wiping out the vampires in his blood. Or maybe it's the key to wiping out humanity. By the 45-minute mark, my brain had shut down and all I was doing was enjoying the ridiculous CGI fight and chase scenes and wondering if we were going to see Milla's breasts.(We did not.)

The only other recognizable face in the film is William Fichtner, who gets to play a nice character for once, so that was good. The action sequences are thrilling, but ultimately, as my boy SubFab said, it's more like cut scenes with no video game. According to the IMDb geeks, director Kurt Wimmer, who also inflicted the equally incomprehensible and CGI-heavy Equilibrium on us, had his final cut taken away and the film was stripped of half an hour. While I'm idly curious to know if it helps the movie make any more sense, I think the 88-odd minutes that the movie runs is more than enough. When the best part of a movie is the opening credit sequence, an entertaining collection of supposed Ultraviolet comic book covers, you have to wonder why they bothered.

I can only hope that V For Vendetta turns out better.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home