Monday, August 29, 2005

So, uh, a little history and perspective.

Now, unlike my esteemed fellow blogger, I'm not much for ranting nostalgia, or for that matter, a lot of emo blather.(No offense, bro.) My chief interest in this blog has been trying to spread the geek love.

That said, I've been doing a lot of thinking lately. (Not having a job to distract you will do that.) I've been working on the novel, trying to shape up the first half before November comes and I start working on the second half. For those of you that haven't read it, the first half of the novel takes place in the winter of 1989, and is about a group of high school kids and how they interact over the course of a long weekend. I realized, after writing the original 50,000 words in one caffeine and sugar fueled month, that as much as I liked the characters, I couldn't totally relate to them. Why?

Well, they fuck like rabbits. Seriously. (Okay, that's not the main reason I'm having issues with it, but it is a factor.)

I was a senior in high school in 1989, and let me tell you, I was not fucking like a rabbit. I was, in fact, completely mystified by the female animal.

In 1989, I was a slightly overweight, bespectacled Star Wars geek who was too busy working like a dog to manage to keep my C+ average and working like a dog after school to put some money away for college. I had a few friends who were girls, but no real prospects. That probably had as much to do with the fact that I didn't have a mullet, a Camaro, or a bass guitar hidden away in my garage as it did with my inherent geekiness. As a result, I struggled along, going to the prom with a co-worker who took pity on me after I got shot down by the two other girls I asked. (Unlike Will Piedmont, I wouldn't have gone stag.) It also didn't help that the two guys in my circle of high school friends that I held in highest regard appeared to be getting a great deal of interest from the opposite sex. (Later in life, I would find this not to be true, but at the time, it was like a guillotine blade over my head.)

In the spring and summer of '89, I managed to get my first girlfriend. She was another cashier at Stop and Shop, and our relationship was short and bittersweet. We had three dates, a brief amount of fumbling physical interaction, and then I was summarily dumped for a guy with the aforementioned mullet and Camaro. This, unfortunately, put a brief strain on my relationship with her brother, who was a pretty good friend until I broke his nose. (He was mad at me, I was mad at his sister, it was dumb, and I apologized for a few weeks afterward.)

After that disaster, I almost got laid by a woman twice my age. I worked with some wonderful, hard-partying people in those days, and any excuse for a party was a good one. In this case, it was my departure for Marist. Towards the end of the evening, the hostess of the party and I were sitting outside when she decided that she needed to stick her tongue down my throat. Alcohol was a factor(for her, not for me) but because I was a good boy, there was some fumbling, and a few wonderful moments, but in the end, the Boy Scout in me won out, and that was the end of that.

So, headed for college, I was having no luck at all with the fairer sex. (It gets worse before it gets better, believe me.)

1 Comments:

Blogger Thom Guthrie, Bassist and Adventurer said...

Yeah, that bass got me laid SO often.
What you needed was huevos...and to let go of mine.
That'd be good, thanks.
Oh, and no offense taken. Hide in the closet for the rest of your days; see if I care. >8)X

9/01/2005 3:35 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home