Saturday, December 18, 2004

Some random things...

Can't wait for Christmas to be over. I'm about out of cash and credit, and I think I'm finally finished with all of the nonsense. The only good thing is that because I managed to escape from Tommy K's, I won't have to work Christmas Day. I do have to work Christmas Eve at the new job, but that's okay, because I only have to work two hours, and it will allow me to miss out on the wife's relatives that I can't really tolerate.

------------

Oh, yeah, that's right. I got a new part time job. I've traded up video stores from independent to really cool arthouse independant. The new location is Best Video, a store that I've been renting from for a long time, and always wanted to work at. So now I'm working as their drop box driver, a job that allows me to work 2 hours a night for a decent paycheck, get free rentals, and still have time to be home with my daughter. Yay me~!

------------

DV has returned from the dead, sort of, and I rejoice. The big component's still offline, and will be for a while, but the forum's back, and that's enough for me. I'm happy to be able to hang out with that group of internet "friends" again.

------------

Currently downloading the Chyna/Sean Waltman video out of morbid curiousity(mostly because I don't want to waste the rental fee on it). I might review it if I can stomach it.

------------

Not sure I like the Randy Johnson trade. I realize that he's still Randy Johnson, but I feel like the Yanks gave up on Javier Vasquez too fast. We'll just have to see, I suppose. It's going to be a long two months between the end of football and the start of the baseball season without hockey. Thanks a lot, you bastard owners.

------------

Watched a really interesting documentary on the Sundance Channel recently. Dig! is the story of two musicians, Courtney Taylor of the Dandy Warhols, and Anton Newcombe of the wonderfully named Brian Jonestown Massacre. They were friends once, but the success of the Warhols(relatively speaking; they're big in Europe) and Newcombe's personal demons drove them apart. The film tracks nearly ten years in the two bands' relationships. We watch as Newcombe feuds with bandmates, audiences, and record company executives. The worst thing about watching Dig! is that Newcombe is clearly very talented, but very troubled. The music that you hear in the film played by the Massacre is really well written and performed, certainly better than the Warhols' stuff. Don't get me wrong; the Warhols are a great band, but there's just something really out there about Newcombe's songs. He's almost like John Lennon or Dylan in some ways. But as you watch the film, you begin to realize that each time it seems like the Massacre is going to break out, Newcombe does something to sour the deal. He also can't deal with the success of the Warhols, and he ends up alienating the friends who supported his band and tried their hardest to help him succeed. In the end, Newcombe is a tragic figure, struggling to get his message heard, but struggling as much against his own troublesome nature as against any external pressures.

Dig! apparently isn't on video yet, or at least if it is, Amazon's not selling it. If you have a chance to catch this film on Sundance, it's really well done and worth watching.

2 Comments:

Blogger Brendan said...

"Currently downloading the Chyna/Sean Waltman video "

Muggs noooooooooooooooo

12/19/2004 4:04 AM  
Blogger Jon M. said...

It was pretty scary. I just FF'ed through it.

12/19/2004 12:30 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home