Sunday, December 12, 2004

How do you write a top 10 list for a year in which you didn't actually see 10 movies made this year?

So, Top Ten Movies I Saw This Year. As the title of the post says, I don't think I even saw ten movies with a production date of 2004, so instead, we go with the best stuff I watched this year.

This list's not in numerical order, since I'm straining my brain even trying to remember what I watched this year.

Kill Bill Volume 2 - A satisfying conclusion to the saga, though I think it will be better when it can be seen as Tarantino intended it. Hopefully, the full-length version will pop up soon.

Shrek 2 - The rare sequel that might just be better than the first. Loved the wall-to-wall pop culture references and the goofy American Idol spoof on the DVD.

Return Of The King - I saw this in March, finally, and I thought it was just about perfect, geekboy arguments about Saruman notwithstanding. Can't wait to get my extended edition DVD for Christmas.

Vidocq - A strange French confection whipped up by Pitof, the director of the odious Catwoman film. It's a lot of style and not much substance, but you can't look away.

Gigantic - A Tale Of Two Johns - A great documentary about They Might Be Giants. Very entertaining, and lots of great music. The DVD's got a ton of great extras as well.

Dawn Of The Dead - I didn't expect to say this, because I wasn't expecting much, but this turned out to be a pretty damn good horror film, though very different from the original. And I still don't like running zombies.

The Godfathers Of Mondo - A great documentary about Gualtiero Jacopetti and Franco Prosperi, the italian filmmakers behind Mondo Cane and several other "Mondo" documentaries. A very candid look at the real and unreal events behind the original "Reality" movement.

Revenger's Tragedy - A very wild Alex Cox adaptation of a sixteenth century play, set in the near future, and starring Christopher Eccelston and Eddie Izzard. Highly entertaining, unusual, bloody, and great, great fun.

Eternal Sunshine of The Spotless Mind - Weird, wild, and entertaining. Jim Carrey's best movie since The Truman Show and maybe the best performance of his career, plus a great ensemble cast and great visuals.

Casshern - Forget Sky Captain, this is some serious stuff. Produced almost entirely on bluescreens(the "Digital Backlot", they're calling it now), this Japanese film is some wacky sci-fi stuff, based on an early '70's anime. It cost $9 million and looks like $90 million. Dreamworks has the U.S. rights to it(I saw a R2 "import") and hopefully they'll give it the kind of release that Hero and House Of Flying Daggers got.

--------------

As you'll notice, there aren't a lot of mainstream movies here; That's because I haven't watched a lot of the stuff I've ripped. I'm sure Spiderman 2 will go right to the head of this list once I've watched it, as would Shaun Of The Dead. But I don't get to see new stuff much, so maybe they'll be on next year's list.

Next list - The Ten Best DVDs Of The Year.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home