Tuesday, August 17, 2004

Well, we didn't go to Boston.

Working last night at the video store when my Dad(who is my boss at the real job) calls my cell phone. The Boston trip, which had originally been a two day trip on the weekend, had become a one day trip on Thursday when JP(Dad's boss) called yesterday morning. Well, yesterday afternoon, JP called Dad to tell him that the regional manager who was coming to slap us around and get us in line had to cancel.

Seems one of his regional managers on the West Coast had been shot and killed. Details are sketchy, seeing as I haven't any idea what this person's name was and I wasn't able to find anything on any of the West Coast news sites about it. I find myself wondering if it was a disgruntled TR or something entirely different. So instead of being gone, I have the next two nights off in a row from the store. I plan to catch up on my boxing.

---------------------------------------------

I've been watching the Olympic boxing trials the last few days. I can't confess to knowing much about boxing, having only been really geeking it out for the last 5 or 6 months on the sport. Thankfully, NBC's telecasts, led by ESPN's number one analyst, Teddy Atlas, have been very helpful. At the start of each show, they explain the scoring system(somewhat more esoteric then the standard prizefight system), and they introduce all the fighters and tell how they got there. So far, I've seen three US fighters, only one of whom was truly dominant. I don't know how good this team is, but NBC likes to stress how young they are, so that seems to be a factor. The best one I've seen so far is a featherweight named Vincent Escobedo(sp?) who pretty much dominated his opponent. Unlike the other Olympic events, boxing will extend through the entire Olympics, so I'm sure by the end there'll be a few breakouts who I'll be hoping to see on ESPN or the pay channels soon.

--------------------------------------------

Unsurprisingly, Randy Orton went face last night. Some of the IWC columnists were arguing for a continued Orton heel presence, but let's be honest. HHH is not turning face anytime soon, and the fans seem to be on their way to accepting Orton as a face. If he gets a little better at cutting promos, maybe he might go a little farther.

--------------------------------------------

New link added to an interesting site sent me by my friend Mat. The Last Exit is a site of brief capsule reviews of the kind of movie that I like; Takashi Miike, Lucio Fulci, and David Cronenberg all get a mention. I do disagree with him on a few things; he thinks almost all of Fulci's films are unredeemable, and he trots out the usual hyperbole about Salo, but other then that, it's a valuable reference if you want to see sleazery.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home