Friday, June 04, 2004

Metal~!

I've been watching the VH1 100 Most Metal Moments this week, and it's been like a bad 80's flashback. The good thing is that a lot of what they're showing is not the same clips that they run on I Love The (Insert Decade Here)'s, and that they've picked a different group of people to comment then the usual suspects. Sebastian Bach of Skid Row has been particularly amusing. Of course, they show lots of Ozzy and Kiss and the bad 80's hair bands, but it's nice to see that they also feature Motorhead and have twice shown the late Wendy O. Williams of the Plasmatics.

There's also a great new piece of Joel Veitch animation accompanying the show, as the usual cute kitten is threatened by a number of ugly characters while singing "Run To The Hills". The Viking Kitten then rescues him with the solo. Funny stuff. More of Veitch's stuff can be seen at his website, and also in the freaky Quizno's ads run recently.

Speaking of VH1's insta-nostalgia, they're apparently prepping "I Love The 90's" to be run next month. COME ON! Do we really need nostalgia for four years ago? I can understand doing an 80's show, and a 70's show, but really. Do we need a nostalgia show about the Spice Girls and grunge and Titanic. Of course, we've encouraged VH1 by watching the other I Love shows in droves, so I figure it's only a matter of time until we get the "I Love The First Half Of The 00's". (Of course, they're already shooting that in a way, seeing as that's pretty much what "The Best Week Ever" is.)

-----------------------------------------------------

Boxing this weekend, though I won't get to see the fights I want to. Oscar De La Hoya and Bernard Hopkins continue their steady trudge towards their September match by taking on probably tuneup opponents tomorrow night on PPV. De La Hoya faces Felix Sturm, a mostly unknown fighter who most assume is probably easy pickings for him, but who may turn out to be somewhat dangerous due to his ability to switch hitting styles. De La Hoya's chief problem will be that this is his first fight at 160, so it will be interesting to see if the 31-year-old will hold up. (Probably not an issue.)

Hopkins on the other hand, should have an easy time of it versus Robert Allen, whom he's already whupped twice, though there has been some controversy. Hopkins initially said he wouldn't fight if ref Joe Cortez was assigned to the fight. Hopkins claimed that Cortez had a bias against him, despite the fact that Cortez has NEVER worked a Hopkins fight. Cortez and Nevada refused to back down, and Hopkins apparently decided not to lose a $15 million payday and the De La Hoya match.

Showtime has the non-PPV show this week, though it won't be as good a show as it looked. Kassim Ouma was supposed to fight Verno Phillips but has pulled out due to a back injury. The other half of the show is Jeff Lacy/Vitali Tsypko in a IBF super middleweight title eliminator match. Lacy is a top prospect and this should be a good fight, but all in all, I'd rather be watching the PPV I can't see.

----------------------------------------------

Kind of annoyed that I was unable to catch the debut of NWA/TNA Impact! today. Apparently I don't have a Fox Sports Net affiliate in my area unless MSG counts as one. So I have to wait and see Tuesday if they show Impact on MSG. I'm more curious about it then anything else, as I have never bought any of their weekly PPV shows.(Why pay for a show once a week, when there are two shows with more people I'm interested in on for free?) Eh. No big loss, I suppose.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home