Thursday, June 24, 2004

A few things I've figured out, part the second...

I realized as I was sorting all the MP3s that my musical tastes have changed a lot since high school.(Yeah, I know, big shock.) I realize that most people's tastes change as time goes by, but mine seems particularly drastic.

Ten artists/bands I liked when I was in High School:

Rush
Metallica
Motley Crue
Iron Maiden
Van Halen
Bon Jovi
Bruce Springsteen
Led Zeppelin
Aerosmith
Steve Miller

Now, the ten artists/bands that I listen to most these days:

Frank Zappa
Miles Davis
Blind Guardian
Opeth
Neil Young
Sonic Youth
Phish
Hatebreed(full disclosure: My cousin is the lead shouter in Hatebreed, as well as being the host of the new Headbanger's Ball on MTV)
Killswitch Engage
Tomoyasu Hotei

So what happened? Maturity happened, I think, plus as I got older, I started looking for something different, much in the same way that my taste in movies changed.

Ten movies I loved when I was in high school:

Bill And Ted's Excellent Adventure
A Nightmare on Elm Street
Porky's
Ghostbusters
Major League
Rocky IV
First Blood
Back To The Future
Caddyshack
Animal House


Now, admittedly, fine films all, and most of which I still enjoy. But this would be a top ten list for me now of pre-1989 films(and is dependent on what kind of mood you catch me in.)

The Exorcist
Network
The Seven Samurai
Citizen Kane
The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly
Dawn Of The Dead
The Grand Illusion
The Last Wave
Diva
L'Aldila (The Beyond)


Very different material from what I watched in high school. I blame the advent of DVD, as well as 7 years working in a video store and way too much time wasted sitting on my butt in movie theaters and on the couch.

More lists to come, as I'm in that kind of a mood lately.


1 Comments:

Blogger Thom Guthrie, Bassist and Adventurer said...

"I'm in that kind of mood lately."
Your subconscious is trying to institute some kind of order on a universe gone chaotic. Happens to me all the time.
You know, you and Mike Bruce have very similar tastes...well, your (much fitter, much more of a threat to my junk) high school self and Mike's so-close-to-midlife-that-he's-started-the-crisis-early self do, anyway.
Restore order, JM.

6/25/2004 8:02 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home