Sunday, May 23, 2004

Fun with Pasolini and Miike...

Watching the Mayweather/Corley fight now. Mayweather looks goooood. Shaddax has a round for round up that definitely says anything I would want to say about the fight as well as a look at the mythic "pound for pound" championship that seems to have passed from Roy "knocked the fuck out" Jones to Mayweather.

One of the benefits of this new computer is that I can now begin acquiring the movies that I wanted to and can't afford. Pier Paolo Pasolini's Salo is the perfect example. Now out of print, the Criterion DVD edition fetched well over three figures for some time, though at the moment, it looks like you can get one for about $50. This guy, though, is a bit much, as you can get the Woo films for about $50-100 each in other auctions.(Of course, that's what E-Bay is all about.) But I digress. Salo is also available at my local arthouse video store, and one pass through DVD Shrink later, now I have one too. They carry the Woo films also, so for the price of 2 blank DVD's and 8 bucks for rental, I'll have those too.

It's an all-Outrage-Cinema weekend as I also picked up Takashi Miike's Visitor Q and Ichi The Killer. Between the three, there's more then enough nudity, gore, sadism, and deviance to satisfy even the most debauched, jaded cult movie nut.(Like myself.) My buddy Brendan calls Visitor Q an endurance test, which will be interesting to see, because I've always considered Caligula to be the true movie endurance test. I've tried to watch it three times and never made it through the entire thing. I can never seem to get past Malcolm McDowell vomiting blood in slow motion. I'll probably have something on Salo up at some point in the near future, as any movie that the box copy claims is "perhaps the most disturbing and disgusting film ever made" has to have that claim verified.

1 Comments:

Blogger Thom Guthrie, Bassist and Adventurer said...

So...making jokes about my involuntarily extruding used bourbon and bowtie pasta, like vinyl siding no less, into my own cargo pants is funny, but Mal McDowell blasting off into inner space is sickening.
Gotcha.
First, you retahd.

5/24/2004 12:33 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home