Friday, April 09, 2004

Why Roger Ebert rocks my face...

My boy Hogie over at ITVR pointed me in the direction of this list. Now you'll recall(or you can scroll down to it) that I took CHUD to task for a list of underrated movies last week. This is the list, right here. You should go to your video store of choice or Netflix and get as many of these movies as you can if you want to truly appreciate some great filmmaking. The list is a couple of years old, but every movie on it is essential viewing.

Now, normally I don't care for Roger. I personally think that he and the late Gene Siskel simplified movie criticism way too much with the thumb rating system. Nowadays, the first thing you see at the top of a newspaper ad or trumpeted in a TV ad is "Two Thumbs Up", but if you read Ebert's reviews, you see that many times, the thumb is either barely up, or in the case of Hellboy, barely down. Ebert said that he "liked 49% of Hellboy, but disliked 51% of it. But this list, and his persistent championing of such fare as Miyazaki's My Neighbor Totoro and Jodorowsky's Santa Sangre, makes me rethink my position on old Roger.

Day off tomorrow, whoo-hoo. Sleep will be good.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home