Saturday, March 27, 2004

Go Huskies, and more boxing.

Go UConn~! That's about all I have to say about that. Good wins for both teams, though the women didn't look as impressive as the men.

Yanks are in Tokyo, but I thought YES would air the exhibitions. They are not. So I either get up at 5 am on Tuesday, or I DVR them and maybe see them later in the day. I think you can guess the answer to that one.

Boxing. Now I've only been watching boxing seriously for a few months, but I think I know a good fight when I see one. Tonight, I saw a bad, bad fight, one which the commentators very much wanted me to believe was good. Vinny Pazienza fought his retirement fight tonight, versus a ham'n'egger named Tucker Pudwell at Foxwoods, Vinny's back yard. Now let's see:

Home field advantage? Check.
Weak opponent? Check.
Retiring? Check.
Going for your 50th win before retiring? Check.

You guess the outcome. Now, admittedly, by the 6th round or so, Pudwell had no juice left on his punches. And Paz was just killing him late, though he couldn't get the KO. But the Comcast "announcers" never gave the kid a chance and were so sure it was a matter of time before he lost that they were completely ignoring the fact that Paz was fighting a shitty junkfest featuring stuff that would have gotten any other fighters point detractions during fights. He "knocked" Pudwell down twice, but one was basically a pushdown, and he was warned four times in about 4 minutes about pushing Pudwell down. That and the large cut under Paz's eye that was an elephant after about the 5th round made it obvious that the fix might as well have been in. I've also never seen a fight with so much trash talking going on in the ring during the match. I don't know why I even bothered.

Currently HBO is running matches, and it's like night and day watching Monte Barrett and Dominic Guinn as opposed to the Paz fight. I'd been trying to figure out why no one was carrying the Paz fight nationally. Now I know why.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home