Saturday, March 20, 2004

Boxing vs. Wrestling, and fun with the Potty.

Today we bought the potty, $14.96 at Wal-Mart. My daughter has been slowly working up to this with my wife's help, and we decided on the midrange potty. This one doesn't play music, or congratulate my daughter for pottying, but it does break up into a seperate seat for pottying once she's a bit bigger. Soon, no more diapers. Woo-hah~!

So, I spent the better part of yesterday kiilling stuff off my hard drive. I watched this week's South Park(nearly peed myself at what started out as a spoof of anime, and ended as a commentary on Janet Jackson and "The Passion of The Christ"), Chappelle's show(spotty at best), two episodes of Law and Order(one good, one eh), then the important stuff, Showtime Thursday Night Boxing and WWE Smackdown.

I've decided two things.

1. Boxing has too many damn ranking organizations. I know this is obvious, but the last two fights I watched had 7 belts up for grabs in two main events. There were 7 matches for belts at Wrestlemania and none had more then one belt involved. The main event on ShoBox's thursday night show was for 4 belts. Not to unify one, but just for the winner to carry around 4 freakin' belts. Unfortunately, it was a farce, over in about a minute and a half. The other match, well, that brings me to my second point.

2. I think I just like having the match outcome be less random. The first match on ShoBox was between two middleweights, one of whom, Daniel Edouard, apparently had previously injured his hand. During the fight, it had become apparent that he'd reinjured his hand around round three or so. As a result, his dominant performance in the first couple of rounds petered out and the other fighter, Dorian Beaupierre, dominated the rest of the match, dishing out some heavy punishment which the first fighter, who was larger, was just soaking up. Fight ends, Beaupierre has obviously(to me, a novice fight watcher, anyway) won the fight. However, the judges see it as a majority draw.
Now I'm no fight expert, but this was no draw. While there were no knockdowns, Beaupierre dominated from about round 4 on. Despite a break in the action to replace Beaupierre's left glove, which was falling apart at the thumb, Edouard could not use the five-six minute break to recover mentally, and never got back into the fight. The only thing that I saw as a problem was that from about round 6 on, he was also showboating a bit, acting as though he knew he'd won the fight. Draw my eye.
In wrestling, only injury, mistake, or the whim of a certain company owner and CEO affects the outcome. When you sit down to watch a match, or a show, you know that for the most part, what you expect to happen is going to happen. Now don't get me wrong, two guys actually slugging it out is fine, but a draw that obviously shouldn't have been one is not.

Some quick thoughts on SD!:
John Cena is crazy over, though obviously moreso with his hometown crowd. Nice dig at Michael Cole, by the by.
I enjoyed the gauntlet matches greatly, though none as much as Eddy v. Rey. Now that was something else, and pretty close to TV MOTY so far, in my opinion.
Too bad Farooq had to get canned for real. Can't understand why, particularly since he was all but ready to retire anyway.
Hopefully this lottery doesn't break up the cruiserweight division.

Off to work shortly.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home